Finding the best hairstyles for women over 50 may seem a bit exhausting, but it really doesn’t have to be. The thing to focus on when it comes to getting a suitable hairstyle is to remember that older hair shouldn’t be something it’s not, so keep your hairstyle choices as fuss-free and easy as possible. In an effort to help you along the way, we decided to make a handy collection of options for you to choose from.
Get ready to indulge in some hairstyle fun!
1. Gray Curly Bob. If you have gray hair and don’t want to change your color, get a flattering haircut and optionally add some subtle highlights or lowlights to make the color dimensional. The voluminous curls make this bob work wonders for older women.
2. Gray Pixie with Side Bangs. Women aged 50 and up can definitely still pull off super short hair, it just depends on the cut. Pixie generally works well, especially when you play with bangs.
3. Long Brown Curls with Thick Bangs. Shoulder length styles are very feminine and complimentary; however, as you age you must make sure that the length flatters you instead of dragging you down.
4. Brown Curly Bob. Curly hair can be a challenge when you want to wear it short, fortunately, it can still be achieved. Pay close attention when styling the crown and the sides because they help frame the face.
5. Dark Blonde Shaggy Bob. There are a million haircuts in the world, but there is something special and alluring about the tousled lob. This shaggy bob perfectly complements those who wear glasses.
6. Textured Mullet Shag. When you have short hair, get creative and inject your personality into your haircut. A textured take on the mullet shag is a great start.
7. Undercut Pixie with Colored Bangs. For the women 50 plus out there who are daring and not afraid of turning heads, this short spiky cut is given additional drama courtesy of the color splash in the front and shaved design in the back.
8. Medium Cut with Curtain Bangs. A modern, flattering hairstyle that looks good on all ages, the medium length layered haircut like this one doesn’t need anything extra.
9. Black Shoulder-Length Waves. So many medium hairstyles are easy to style, making them ideal for women 50 and up who don’t want any fuss.
10. Gray Shag. Regardless of age, we all have an inner rockstar, and an easy way to explore it is to experiment with your hair. A short shag is a great starting point.
11. Long Blonde Layers. One of the best hairstyles for thick hair is also the simplest one. Just adding a few well-placed flips brings out its beauty.
12. Wavy Feathered Shag with Bangs. Some women in their 50`s hate that mid length stage because they think it’s too hard to style, but that’s not always true. With a feathered shag cut, you get some cute boho waves that don’t need any particular styling tricks.
13. Medium Waves with Side Bangs. Thick wavy hair may be difficult to manage at times, but once you find the right look, you should definitely keep it. Here you have a layered cut that showcases the best that thick hair has to offer.
14. Gray Messy Pixie. If you are going to be committed to short hair, then you should make sure that’s it’s always cut and trimmed to perfection because there is nothing to hide behind.
15. Long Layers with Lowlights. Whether you deal with long wavy hair or straight strands, get some flattering layers. Sometimes less is truly more, just like this look.
16. Honey Blonde Flip. The most memorable haircuts are those that look effortless. This medium length layered hairstyle is simple, elegant, and feminine.
17. Platinum Blonde Curls. If you’re on the hunt for modern haircuts that look good with medium length curly hair, look no further. This cut has just enough modern flair to turn heads and it’s not over-the-top.
18. Extreme Spiky Pixie. Looking to take your short hair up a few notches more? Then perhaps you should try this extreme style that is heavy on fine spikes.
19. Easy Bronde Shag. Shoulder length hairstyles with bangs and face-framing layers offer the appealing girl-next-door look, and you can make it your own with a customized balayage color.
20. Long Hair with Curled Ends. Coarse, wavy hair may take a bit more elbow grease to create a lasting style, but it’s totally worth it if the outcome looks like this.
21. Black Messy Curly Bob. The accents of this short wavy hairstyle are the two-tone hair color and the contrasting long bangs. It’s perfect for all the edgy ladies out there.
22. Layered Gray Pixie. Fine, straight, and supple hair is undeniably the best hair type when you want to wear a pixie because it compliments your natural texture so beautifully.
23. Gray Pixie Bob. When you have fine hair and glasses, you may feel like your hairstyle choices are limited to boring looks, but this one proves you wrong.
24. Medium Perm Curls. While you may assume that most medium cuts with layers fall underneath the straight category, here you have an adorable curly option that is simply gorgeous.
25. Bob with Chunky Layers. Ideal for short to medium hair, a chunky bob like this is always ready to take center stage.
26. Short Dark Blonde Curls. Tame your short curly hair with a cut that works with its texture, not against it, such as this one.
27. Gray Lob. Long and sleek hair will never go out of style, simply because it’s always flattering and appropriate, regardless of age.
28. Razor Cut Pixie. For the women who love very short haircuts, using a razor to cut hair instead of regular shears gives an updated, funky look.
29. Back and Forth Swoopy Layers. Layers, layers, and more layers, that’s all you need to know about this haircut that moves with every turn and looks stunning from every angle.
30. Rose Gold Layered Pixie. Hair color is always an easy way to take a basic hairstyle and turn it into something absolutely fabulous.
31. Long Red Waves. Another great example of how a brighter hair color can instantly add pizazz to an otherwise understated hairstyle.
32. Medium Curls with Side Bangs. It might not be the trendiest hairstyle for an older woman to try, but it is still quite current and flattering—and that’s all that truly matters.
33. Two-Tone Messy Bob with Chunky Bangs. Deciding to rock two-tone hair is certainly not for the faint of heart, but if you’re daring enough, perhaps this messy look will catch your eye.
34. Heavily Layered Flip. Once again, layers are the scene-stealer. They add the depth and dimension that most hair types need to look their best.
35. Side Swept Long Pixie. When it comes to pixie haircuts for women over 50, few are as gorgeous as this one. It works so well because of its slighter longer than average length and side-swept styling.
36. Medium Length Blonde Curls. Textured hair looks best when it’s allowed to remain in its natural state instead of applying overly fussy styling techniques that work against it.
37. Long, Gray, and Sleek. Long hair can be very hard to part with, so, if you’re over 50 and can’t even think of saying goodbye to your longer strands, this proves you don’t have to.
38. Medium Shag with Thick Bangs. The shag has stood the test of time because there are so many versions of it and also so many ways to make it a signature hairstyle for your hair type and lifestyle.
39. Angled Curly Bob. Chin length hairstyles are stylish and easy to wear, and when you add some messy curls, they take it to the next level of chic.
40. Pixie with Asymmetrical Baby Bangs. Most modern pixies are tapered and feature some interesting bangs.
Well, as we see, today’s hairstyles for women over 50 are surprisingly youthful, fresh, and inspiring. Now, walk into your next salon appointment and make a stylish change!